Bryan and Jordan Silverman are on a roll. A roll of toilet paper, that is. The brothers are the inventors of toilet tissue printed with ads, and sometimes with coupon codes that can be read by cellphones. The Journal-News reported that the Silvermans expect their product to appear this fall in the Port Chester-Rye Brook Public Library. Jordan Silverman, 22, came up with the idea for Star Toilet Paper in 2010. His 18-year-old brother told the newspaper that he was initially skeptical but came to see the product as advertising to "a really captive audience." I'll say. Critics of the ambitious plan say if it doesn't work, advertisers will just be flushing their money down the toilet.
"Sorry I didn't do the homework, my dog ate it," is an excuse that you may have heard before, especially now that school is starting up again. But what about "That wasn't me, it was actually my twin." A little more believable, right? Well, not so in the case of 31-year-old Jennifer Brown, of Rochester, Pa, who is charged with false reports and theft. Police say Brown took some bed clothes, an alarm clock, coffee pot, basket and a hair dryer - worth a whopping $206 - from the Holiday Inn in Big Beaver on Aug. 5. They found Brown in another hotel nearby and she claimed her twin sister had taken the items. When the police found no record of a sister, they say Brown claimed her sister had just returned the items, which police later found in the other hotel room. Relatives of Brown confirmed that she has no twin sister. I guess you could say she's in double the trouble. Too bad she doesn't have that twin to split it with.
This last bizarre story should make you feel better about your job-even if it's trying to sell ad space on toilet paper. Construction worker Eduardo Leite, 24, survived after a 6-foot metal bar fell from above and pierced his head, doctors said last week. Luiz Alexandre Essinger, chief of staff at Rio de Janeiro's Miguel Couto Hospital, said doctors withdrew the iron bar from Leite's skull during a five-hour surgery. The bar fell from the fifth floor of a building under construction, went through Leite's hard hat, entered the back of his skull and exited between his eyes. Ruy Monteiro, the hospital's head of neurosurgery, told the Globo TV network that Leite escaped by just a few centimeters from losing one eye and becoming paralyzed on the left side of his body because the bar entered a "non-eloquent" area of the brain, an area that doesn't have a specific, major known function. Phew. You just thought your job gave you a headache.